Sunday, November 6, 2016

Audiobooks and Listening to our “Guest Readers!”
from the desk of Ella MacLeod, literacy coach
I love listening to audiobooks!  I have trained for 3 marathons while listening to books.   I have driven to Georgia and back each summer listening primarily to auidiobooks.  I listen to them while I clean.  My two daughters and even my husband have all also become fans of audiobooks; getting sucked into The Land of Stories, Harry Potter, 11 Birthdays and many more.  But, I often wondered if listening to audiobooks was the same as reading “real books”. I decided to look to the experts to hear what they had to say about audiobooks, and this is what I found:
Audiobooks can be used to:
  • Introduce students to books above their reading level
  • Model good interpretive reading
  • Teach critical listening
  • Highlight the humor in books
  • Introduce new genres that students might not otherwise consider
  • Introduce new vocabulary or difficult proper names or locales
  • Sidestep unfamiliar dialects or accents, Old English, and old-fashioned literary styles
  • Provide a read-aloud model
  • Provide a bridge to important topics of discussion for parents and children who can listen together while commuting to sporting events, music lessons, or on vacations
  • Recapture "the essence and the delights of hearing stories beautifully told by extraordinarily talented storytellers" (Baskin & Harris, 1995, p. 376)
In the meantime, we hope you enjoy listening to our Guest Readers!  New readers will be featured and added regularly!